Saturday, July 25, 2026

“Forty Days in Korea”

“Forty Days in Korea”

 

40 days.

 

Long enough to slow down,

short enough to leave me

longing for one more sunrise.

 

I visited many places,

met many people,

and enjoyed the rich flavors of Korean food.

 

If these forty days have a single name,

it is this: “Roots.”

 

I had been running for so long

that I hardly noticed

I had crossed the midpoint of life.

 

I reconnected with old friends,

who became mirrors.

 

In some ways they were the same;

in other ways, they had changed.

In them, I caught a glimpse of the child I once was

and the person I am becoming.

 

After twenty years,

I returned to my alma mater,

a place that felt both so familiar and so different,

the place where my journey turned:

from darkness to light,

from ambition to calling,

from heartbreak to love.

 

I lingered with my family of origin.

In my parents' voices,

I heard echoes of my own.

In conversations with my in-laws’ family,

I discovered another piece of myself.

 

I thought I knew who I was.

Instead,

I discovered how much of myself

remained to be known.

 

Today I opened a book about Korea,

and in its pages,

I found myself reading my own story as well.

 

These forty days

have taught me to see my roots with new eyes:

to tend my own wounds,

to make peace with my past,

to thank God,

who created me to be uniquely me.

 

And to look at every person beside me

as someone with deep roots,

a sacred story worth listening to.

 

As I leave Korea,

I carry more than memories.

 

I carry deeper roots,

a renewed gratitude,

and a fresh desire

to become a wounded healer,

still being healed,

yet ready to help another heal.

---

“40 Days in Korea” 

 

어느덧 40일이 지났다.

돌아보면 참으로 길고도 짧은 시간이었다.

 

많은 곳을 방문했고,

여러 사람들을 만났고,

다양한 음식들을 맛보았다.

 

가운데에서

지난 40일의 시간을 단어로 말하면 뿌리.

나의 뿌리를 찾아가는 시간이었다.

 

열심히 달려오다 보니,

어느새 나도 모르게

인생의 반환점을 지나치고 있었다.

 

친구들을 다시 찾았다.

초등학교 죽마고우들, 중고등부 시절 교회 친구들,

그대로 이기도 했고, 그간 많이 변하기도 했다.

나의 어릴 모습을 보았고, 오늘의 나를 보기도 했다.

 

모교를 방문했다.

20 만이다.

어두움에서 빛으로,

야망에서 소명으로,

실연에서 사랑을 만났던 .

 

원가족과 데이트를 했다.

부모님과 대화하면서

부모님을 발견하고 나를 발견했다.  

누나 가족과 시간을 보내면서도

처갓집에 머물면서도 나자신을 보았다.  

 

나를 안다고 생각했는데,

그동안 나를 몰랐다는 사실을 알게 되었다.

 

오늘 “Inside Korea”라는 책을 샀다.

대한민국 대통령실록 읽기 시작했다.

깊은 뿌리를 알고 싶은 갈망이 생겼다.

 

지난 40일을 통해

나의 뿌리를 새로운 눈으로 보게 되었다.

나를 나로 창조하신 하나님께 감사하게 되었고,

옆에 있는 사람을 다시 보게 되었다.

넓고 깊은 뿌리, 고유한 이야기가 있는

사람으로


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Forty Days in Korea”

“Forty Days in Korea”   40 days.   Long enough to slow down, short enough to leave me longing for one more sunrise.   I visited many places,...